Remedy’s done it again and launched a drink no-one can pronounce! It’s OK though because we’re always happy to help you out – we’re good like that.
Say after us slowly: TE-PAR-CHEY. It rhymes with PAR-TAY.
What exactly IS Tepache?
Glad you asked! Refreshingly real and radically revitalising with no sugar naturally, Remedy Tepache is a brand new, live cultured fizzy rooted in old school Mexican fermenting traditions and pairs tangy pineapple with warm cinnamon. Tepache is pretty new to Australia but we think you’ll dig it. A LOT!
There’s a long Mexican tradition of quenching your thirst on a hot day with ‘aguas frescas’ which translates as ‘fresh waters’. These drinks are traditionally prepared with sugar, grains and fruits like papaya, watermelon, rockmelon, lemon and mango. Tepache is a fermented pineapple take on these sodas and is traditionally made with pineapple rinds, turbinado brown sugar and cinnamon or cloves.
Tepache is a very easy drink to make at home if you want to try home fermenting taking only a few days to bubble away and do its thing.
If you don’t have the time or inclination to do a home ferment or prefer a naturally no sugar option, Remedy Tepache is our hot tip.
What does it taste like?
Fizzy, crisp, fresh and super fruity. A little tropical with a smidge of spice and warmth from cinnamon.
Fermented the old school way, we take organic pineapple juice and brew it with our Remedy live culture to remove all of the sugar before adding all natural ingredients including cinnamon to create a tangy, live cultured pineapple soda that’ll have you saying ‘adios sugar, hola Tepache!’.
Why’s it so darn tootin’ good for you?
Where to start? Remedy Tepache is jammed with goodies for mind, body and gut! Made with tangy pineapple and spicy cinnamon, Remedy Tepache is packed with live cultures and naturally energising organic acids.
Live cultures improve gut health by:
- Increasing the diversity of your gut flora – these are the good bugs that live in your gut to get things working as they should
- Preventing the growth of bad bugs that make you sick
- Supplying billions of microorganisms that are full of vitamins, minerals and fibre, which the healthy bacteria in your gut use as a food source to produce important metabolites for good health
Organic acids also known as short chain fatty acids (SFCAs) can:
- Provide an energy source for the good bacteria in your gut
- Help to regulate appetite
- Stabilise blood sugar levels
- Regulate cholesterol
- Like live cultures, also help prevent overgrowth of bad bugs in your gut
Naturally contains no sugar: The beauty of Remedy Tepache is that although the organic pineapple juice it is made with naturally contains sugar, all the sugar is eaten up by the live cultures during fermentation to maximise those amazing organic acids. Remedy brews out ALL of the sugar, and we test every batch to make sure. This is why Remedy Tepache has the official tick of approval from Sarah Wilson’s I Quit Sugar.
Organic and all-natural: Remedy Tepache is all-natural and certified organic, providing natural energy kick without crash and burn of sugar and caffeine highs.
When should you drink it?
Anytime is Tepache time! But here’s a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing…
- Sub out a traditional soft drink: The super juicy, crisp, fresh flavour of Tepache makes it the perfect swap for a sugary soft drink. Think of it as a great gateway to the wonderful world of live cultured bevvies. We get it, sometimes you need to take baby steps.
- Reach for the right stuff and swap out juice: While Remedy uses real, organic pineapple juice to make Tepache, all the sugar is brewed out making this bevvie a super fresh swap for traditional sugary fruit juice. Like all Remedy bevvies, Remedy Tepache is no sugar, naturally.
- For foodies: The tang of pineapple and hint of cinnamon make Remedy Tepache the perfect accompaniment to BBQs, dinner parties and picnics. With its refreshingly crisp flavours, Tepache pairs perfectly with spicy foods from tacos and tostadas through to Sri Lankan and Thai curries.
- Mix it up: Giving booze a break? Remedy Tepache is a great option to take to parties or events instead of your usual six pack of West Coast Cooler (JK). But if you ARE imbibing, Tepache also works wonders with tequila, vodka and even dark or light rum. The only limit is your imagination. You could even take it the next level and mix it with a little beer, just like they do in Mexico. Tepache Shandy anyone?
So there you have it – an introduction to one of the oldest, newest fermented drinks – Remedy Tepache! Salud!